Ryan Howard is running for Iowa House District 60. He is in a two-person Republican primary. You can find more information about Howard here.
1. What is the proper role of government:
To promote the general well-being of society.
To punish evil and promote good.
To protect the God-given rights of its citizens.
2. What issues do you consider non-negotiable:
Parent choice in school curriculum
Transparency in spending of tax dollars
Life begins at conception
Protecting our rights such as freedom of speech, freedom of religion and the right to bear arms
3. What concerns do you have about how the COVID-19 situation was handled by the government, if any:
Violations of the right to assemble
Violations of freedom of religion
Viewpoint discrimination by local and state governments
Government picking winners and losers for businesses in declaring who can operate
Government overreach with the declaration of emergencies without strict scrutiny legal standards
4. At what point do you believe a human life is guaranteed the legal protections of being an American citizen and what would you do to ensure those protections are provided?
A human life deserves protection as soon as it begins, which is at conception.
5. Would you support a religious freedom and restoration act in the state of Iowa?
Yes, insofar as it blocks the government’s ability to violate the right to free exercise of religion.
6. Would you support mandatory E-Verify in Iowa?
7. Would you support banning traffic cameras, why or why not?
Yes. I believe the argument for revenue and safety does not justify the violation of privacy, which could easily lead to further violations of privacy and constitutional rights.
8. What, if any, measures would you support to curb gun violence?
Gun safety education for children and youth.
Allowing armed personnel in schools.
9. What percent of the state’s budget do you believe should go toward education?
Over half of our current budget goes to education, which would suggest that education is not underfunded. A request for increased spending suggests that current funding is not prioritized the way it should be. Iowa spends too much on administration and not enough focused on teachers and children.
10. Would you support education savings accounts?
Yes. Money should follow the student and should be kept local.
11. What do you think of Iowa’s current tax structure?
Too complicated, too high and uncompetitive.
Iowa must lower corporate and individual tax rates.
Iowa must simplify the tax code.
I am open to discussing the expanding of the tax base.
12. Are there any state regulations you would like to see removed?
Job licensing requirements must be reviewed
Certificate of Need in the medical industry
13. What are your views on climate change and what, if anything, should the government’s role be in addressing climate change?
I reject the idea of a climate change crisis. The mainstream climate change agenda today is not driven by science, but by a political agenda. Every attempt to prove the so-called scientific “consensus” has failed. Scientific opinion is strongly divided regarding climate change and human ability to affect such change.
The government should have no role in addressing the non-scientific propaganda of climate change. Therefore, the government should not bring about losses of human freedom or increases in government power, especially related to so-called climate change.
14. Do you support expanding use of medical marijuana? Would you support recreational use of marijuana?
I do not support the expanding use of medical marijuana.
I do not support the recreational use of marijuana.
House District 60: