***The Iowa Standard is an independent media voice. We rely on the financial support of our readers to exist. Please consider a one-time sign of support or becoming a monthly supporter at $5, $10/month - whatever you think we're worth! If you’ve ever used the phrase “Fake News” — now YOU can actually DO something about it! You can also support us on PayPal at [email protected] or Venmo at Iowa-Standard-2018 or through the mail at: PO Box 112 Sioux Center, IA 51250
Jacob Onken is running as a Republican for Iowa House in District 89. He is running against Democrat Elinor Levin.
Here is House District 89:
- At what point of pregnancy should abortion no longer be an option? Life should be protected from conception up until natural death. Only in situations where the mother’s life is in jeopardy should abortion be an option.
- Do you support allowing eminent domain to be used for a private, for-profit project? No.
- Do you support Education Savings Accounts for Iowa families? Yes, so long as it is not mandatory.
- Do you support legislation removing sexually explicit, pornographic materials from school libraries? Yes.
- Do you support a bill requiring schools to communicate “preferred pronouns” of students to their parents? Yes, I would also support a bill that prevents teachers from teaching that pronouns can be chosen by students. Teachers should call students by the same pronouns which are associated with the student’s gender, as assigned at birth and on the student’s birth certificate.
- Would you support removing gender identity from the Iowa Civil Rights Code? Yes.
- Would you support a bill banning “gender-affirming treatment” of minors in Iowa? Yes.
- Would you support a bill allowing one legislative candidate to donate some of their campaign funds to another legislative candidate directly, which was outlawed in the 1990s? Yes.
- Do you support reforming the Governor’s Emergency Powers in Iowa? Yes.
- Do you support reforming and/or repealing Iowa’s “Certificate of Need” laws? Yes.
- Do you support a Religious Freedom & Restoration Act for Iowans? Yes.
- Do you support efforts to stop Big Tech censorship in Iowa? Yes.
- In Iowa, the penalty is the same for kidnapping and raping a minor as it is for kidnapping, raping and murdering a minor. Would you support a bill allowing for the death penalty in cases where a minor is kidnapped, raped and murdered? Yes.
- Do you support mandatory E-Verify for Iowa businesses? Unsure, I do not know enough about e-verify to provide an answer.
- Do you support legislation prohibiting an employer from asking an employee for his or her COVID vaccination status? Yes.
- Do you support legislation prohibiting discrimination based on COVID vaccination status? Yes.
- Should minors be allowed to attend drag shows? No.
- Do you support allowing the sale of raw milk? Yes.
- Would you support getting rid of no-excuse absentee voting? Yes.
To learn more about Onken’s candidacy, visit the following links: