One of Rep. Jeff Van Drew’s first legislative acts since he officially joined the Republican party was to sign a discharge petition that would circumvent Speaker of the House Nancy Pelosi and force a floor vote on the “Born-Alive Abortion Survivors Protection Act.”
This is the culmination of months of work by Liberty Counsel Action supporters and staff contacting him and educating him and many others in Congress.
Rep. Van Drew’s office confirmed this morning that he had signed the discharge petition asking for a full House vote on the “Born-Alive Abortion Survivors Protection Act” — which would require infants who survive attempted abortions to receive equal medical care and treatment as other newborn babies of equal gestational age. Any medical provider or staff who intentionally neglects, abandons, or murders a living newborn baby will be punished
Liberty Counsel Action Chairman Mat Staver said, “Rep. Van Drew’s signature on the discharge petition is a great victory for saving precious children who survive abortions. Our supporters have been working tirelessly to encourage Rep. Van Drew and others to sign the discharge petition to bring the ‘Born-Alive Abortion Survivors Protection Act’ to the floor for a vote. I thank Rep. Van Drew for signing this petition. We are getting closer to having enough votes to bypass Nancy Pelosi to stop infanticide. Our work is not over until this bill is signed into law, said Staver.”
The discharge petition needs 218 signatures, and the New Jersey freshman’s signature now brings the total number of signatures to 204.
- Send a fax to get an urgent, personal message to these leaders.
- Donate to help us fight this battle and create more resources to change this law and many others.
- Send an email (or submit an online form) to your legislators. We have created a sample letter for your Senator and another for your Representative. Feel free to just copy and paste it and add your name and their names. Or add other ideas and any personal experiences you feel are important.
- Call your legislators and urge them to take action to support this bill. If you don’t know your district, you can find out here. Once you know your legislator’s name, you can call the main switchboard number, which is 202-224-3121.
- Send an email to your friends to help spread the word.
- Use our two examples to write a Letter to the Editor for your local newspaper.
- Pray through the list of 276 legislators standing against this bill.