Thanks for seeking input from Pastors in this matter. There are many areas that I would like to touch on to build a position, so please bear with me.
- The Bible clearly defines homosexuality acts as sin. Both Old Testament (Leviticus 18:22, 20:13) and New Testament (Romans 1: 26-27 , I Corinthians 6:9).
- God clearly pronounced judgment on this specific sin. Lev. 18:24 (Defiling of the land/nation) Lev. 20:13 (Capital punishment under Old Testament Mosaic Law) Genesis 19:24 and Luke 17:29 (Destruction of Sodom) Romans 1:28 (God giving them over to a reprobate mind)
- Homosexual behavior is clearly not part of God’s original, natural creation according to Mark 10:6.
As a Christian, I must accept God’s Word and principle as my authority in this matter. According to the above evidence, I must conclude that a Christian must view homosexuality as contrary to God and His creation.
Having established my position as a believer, let me make some statements as an American citizen.
- I have a clear Constitutional right to speak my opinion, regardless of whom it may be offended.
- Government may not dictate what my religous beliefs must be. It may not prohibit the free exercise of my religious beliefs.
- I can see in history that one of the common elements in the downfall of historic civilizations is the wide acceptance of sexual deviancey.
- Government has no business encouraging homosexual marriage.
- Our elected representatives are supposed to represent us in government. They are not there to represent themselves or their feelings. The GOP platform in Iowa is as close to true grassroots as you can get, yet Senator Ernst and Representative Hinson voted contrary to it.
Having established my position as an American citizen, let me speak briefly to simple common sense.
- The human body was not designed to facilitate homosexual behavior. Male homosexuality is especially destructive to the human body. Until the late 90s, most states listed homosexual activity as “risky”.
- Promiscuity is very much encouraged by the homosexual community. This leads to a much higher rate of STDs and relationship instability. This also leads to pronounced increases in domestic violence.
- Homosexuality removes the potential of human procreation and drastically elevates rates of suicide and thus is a cog in the culture of death.
Lastly, as Christian, I also believe in redemption. I do not hate homosexuals.
God died for their sins just as much as He did for mine. Romans 3:23 “For ALL have sinned, and come short of the glory of God.” Romans 5:8 “God commendeth (showed or gave) His love toward us, in that, while we were yet sinners, Christ died for us.” John 3:16 “For God so loved the world, that He gave His only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in Him should not perish but have everlasting life.”
In 1Corinthians 6:11, the Apostle Paul clearly states that some of the saints in the church at Corinth were formerly homosexuals. There is hope.
As a Christian, I must stand where the Bible stands. Homosexuality is wrong, thus gay marriage is wrong. I do not hate, I only strive to speak the truth
Pastor Joshua Graber
Cornerstone Baptist Church