With University of Iowa College of Dentistry being in the news recently, Republican members of the House Government Oversight Committee were contacted about a seminar being taught to dentistry students called “Perspectives.” The seminar appears to be left-wing political ideology masquerading as academic material.
Some of the ideology taught to dentistry students included:
Examples of US Citizenship Privilege:
- I can see my nation as “default” – it is normal, everybody else is “different”
- I can easily ignore the fact that most news stories are told from the US-American or Western point of view and are not a universal truth.
- I have access to plenty of movies and TV shows in my language, full of people from my country, showing my culture and way of life.
- Become famous or successful is much easier for me even if others are more competent.
- I can choose whether or not I take part in discussion surrounding how my lifestyle or the action of my government have impacted the lives of those in other counties.
- If I decide to organize politically or speak out about my country’s unjust policies, I am likely to be addressing systems that I was raised around and understand. Also, those in power are more likely to listen to me and credit my arguments than a non-citizen.
Examples of Cisgender (The term for people whose gender identity matches their sex assigned at birth.) Privilege:
- I am able to purchase shoes that fit my gender expression without having to order them in special sizes or asking someone to custom make them.
- My gender is an option on forms
- I don’t have to remind my extended family over and over to use proper gender pronouns (e.g after transitioning)
- I don’t have to deal with old photographs that did not reflect who I truly am.
- I am able to pretend that anatomy and gender are irrevocably entwined when having the “boy parts and girl parts” talk with children, instead of explaining the actual complexity of the issue.
Students have informed Republican members of the Committee that a seminar on “White Privilege” is scheduled on March 30. When asked about that seminar the Dean of the Dental College could not provide any information about it and whether it still will be conducted.