***The Iowa Standard is an independent media voice. We rely on the financial support of our readers to exist. Please consider a one-time sign of support or becoming a monthly supporter at $5, $10/month - whatever you think we're worth! If you’ve ever used the phrase “Fake News” — now YOU can actually DO something about it! You can also support us on PayPal at [email protected] or Venmo at Iowa-Standard-2018 or through the mail at: PO Box 112 Sioux Center, IA 51250
Republican State Rep. Dean Fisher is running for Iowa House District 53. His opponent is Democrat Sarah Smith.
Here is House District 53:
- At what point of pregnancy should abortion no longer be an option? When a Heartbeat is detected in the baby.
- Do you support allowing eminent domain to be used for a private, for-profit project? No
- Do you support Education Savings Accounts for Iowa families? Yes
- Do you support legislation removing sexually explicit, pornographic materials from school libraries? Yes
- Do you support a bill requiring schools to communicate “preferred pronouns” of students to the their parents? Yes, although I do not think the schools should be asking such questions in the first place. The mere act of asking injects gender identity into the classroom.
- Would you support removing gender identity from the Iowa Civil Rights Code? Yes, I’ve already filed that bill twice!
- Would you support a bill banning “gender-affirming treatment” of minors in Iowa? Yes
- Would you support a bill allowing one legislative candidate to donate some of their campaign funds to another legislative candidate directly, which was outlawed in the 1990s? Maybe, I’d need to understand the reasoning behind the 1990 legislation.
- Do you support reforming the Governor’s Emergency Powers in Iowa? Yes, I trust our current governor, but in the future a Democrat governor could misuse these powers.
- Do you support reforming and/or repealing Iowa’s “Certificate of Need” laws? Yes
- Do you support a Religious Freedom & Restoration Act for Iowans? Yes
- Do you support efforts to stop Big Tech censorship in Iowa? Yes
- In Iowa, the penalty is the same for kidnapping and raping a minor as it is for kidnapping, raping and murdering a minor. Would you support a bill allowing for the death penalty in cases where a minor is kidnapped, raped and murdered? Yes
- Do you support mandatory E-Verify for Iowa businesses? Yes
- Do you support legislation prohibiting an employer from asking an employee for his or her COVID vaccination status? Yes
- Do you support legislation prohibiting discrimination based on COVID vaccination status? Yes
- Should minors be allowed to attend drag shows? No
- Do you support allowing the sale of raw milk? Yes
- Would you support getting rid of no-excuse absentee voting? Probably not. It would be very difficult to enforce. I am not in favor of giving hundreds of government bureaucrats that power to decide what is an appropriate excuse and what isn’t.