Recently, House File 2527 moved out of House Economic Growth Committee. This bill is the Governor’s workforce bill and includes many provisions related to Iowa veterans. The goal of this bill is to make Iowa the best place for veterans to live and work following their service.
The bill includes the following:
- Professional licensing of military spouses – Division IV requires licensing boards to establish a procedure to expedite the licensing of a person married to an active duty member of the military.
- Professional licensing fees – Division IV waives the licensing fees for veterans that have at least a 25% service-connected disability.
- EMS Certificate – Division V waives the examination fee for veterans taking the emergency medical care provider exam.
- Fishing and Hunting Licenses – Division VI allows all Iowa veterans to have a lifetime hunting and fishing license.
- Disabled veterans’ licenses – Division VII prohibits the DOT from charging fees for driver’s and motorcycle licenses to veterans with a 100% service-connected disability.
Military Service Property Tax – under current law, veterans are entitled to a property tax exemption of $2,778 in taxable value or $1,852 for other honorably discharged veterans. Division VIII increases the exemption amount to $2,500.