Iowa House Republican Jeff Shipley signed the “Big Family Pledge” offered by American Principles Project. Shipley is one of, if not the first, Iowa lawmakers to sign the pledge.
The pledge contains five planks:
- Defend girls’ sports by prohibiting biological males from participating, including at the collegiate level;
- Protect children from experimental “gender transition” procedures, including irreversible surgeries, chemical castration, and psychiatric neglect;
- Let kids be kids and protect them from dangerous and divisive propaganda being taught in schools, such as critical race theory and gender ideology;
- Safeguard children from exposure to pornography, obscenity, and indecency;
- Protect life from conception to natural death.
“The epidemic of pornography and radical gender ideology represent a true public health crisis,” Shipley said. “The issues have become impossible to ignore, yet sadly some are still refusing to acknowledge reality. Society will suffer immensely if we don’t act urgently to protect the innocence of our children.”
American Principles Project notes that families are under “relentless attack by woke left-wing activists who seek to undermine parents.”
“These radicals believe that the government — not parents — should have the final say over the upbringing of our children,” the website states. “This ideology is outrageous and should be rejected emphatically. Our leaders must defend families at all costs.”
Rep. Shipley is seeking re-election against fellow Republican House member Joe Mitchell. The Iowa Standard has reached out to Mitchell asking if he will be signing the pledge as well.