U.S. Senator Lindsey Graham (R-South Carolina), ranking member of the Senate Judiciary Committee, today spoke at a press conference on the Respect for the Second Amendment Act, which would codify Second Amendment rights for law abiding citizens.
GRAHAM: “What we are trying to do here today is to tell the Democrats that your efforts to destroy the Second Amendment as we know it will be fought. That we are going to introduce a law codifying Supreme Court decisions and giving you, an individual American, a right to sue people who come after your lawful gun rights. That is what is important about this bill.” https://www.youtube.com/live/HXPofCCrb9U?feature=share&t=1333
GRAHAM: “This is a brewing assault on the Second Amendment. We’re standing in the breach today. Get behind this effort today to prevent erosion of the Second Amendment. I know where they [Democrats] are going. I know what they are up to. They would pack the Supreme Court if they could. They would do away with the legislative filibuster – they’ve tried to do it…They would change the make-up of the Supreme Court because they don’t like the decisions being issued by this Court.” https://www.youtube.com/live/HXPofCCrb9U?feature=share&t=758
GRAHAM: “The Biden Administration’s executive order expanding background checks evades the American legal system to get a political outcome” https://www.youtube.com/live/HXPofCCrb9U?feature=share&t=55
Click here to watch the full press conference
The Respect for the Second Amendment Act:
- Recognizes the importance of Second Amendment rights.
- Codifies Bruen into federal law, which creates a backstop to any future change from the Supreme Court.
- Creates public and private causes of action for any harmed individual so they can file suit against any law, rule, ordinance, etc., that infringes on Second Amendment rights.
- Levels the playing field by shifting attorney fees and costs to the government if the private lawsuit prevails, so that individuals and groups can vindicate their rights without financial burden.
- Enables courts to strike down state and local gun control laws when they conflict with federal law.
Full text of the bill is available HERE.