***The Iowa Standard is an independent media voice. We rely on grassroots financial supporters to exist. If you appreciate what we do, please consider a one-time sign of support or becoming a monthly supporter (even just $5/month would go a long way in sustaining us!) We also offer advertising options for advocacy groups, events and businesses! If you’ve ever used the phrase “Fake News Media” — this is YOUR chance to do something about it! You can also support us on PayPal at [email protected] or Venmo at Iowa-Standard-2018 or through the mail at: PO Box 112 Sioux Center, IA 51250 Thank you so much for your support and please invite your friends and family to like us on Facebook, sign up for our email newsletter and visit our website!***

Why am I receiving my Economic Impact Payment on a pre-paid debit card?

On May 18, 2020, Treasury announced it would begin sending nearly 4 million Economic Impact Payments (EIPs) by prepaid debit card. The pre-paid debit cards are being sent to certain individuals who have no direct deposit information on file with the IRS or Department of the Treasury. Those who receive pre-paid debit cards ordinarily would have received their EIP as a paper check. However, as part of an effort to get funds to individuals as quickly as possible, Treasury is processing payments by both check and pre-paid debit card. Treasury can only process a limited number of paper checks each week. Using pre-paid debit cards allows millions of additional payments to be processed at the same time paper checks are printed.

How can I use my pre-paid debit card? Will fees apply?

There are a number of ways individuals can use their pre-paid debit card without having to pay any fees or incur any extra charges. This includes using the pre-paid debit card anywhere a VISA debit/credit card is accepted, obtaining a cash withdrawal at any in-network ATM, or by transferring funds to a personal bank account through your pre-paid card’s online account or in person at your bank. You may find more information on where and how to use your card at: https://www.eipcard.com/faq.

What do I do if I am having trouble using my card or need a replacement card? 

If you are experiencing difficulty activating your card, using your card for any transactions, or need to replace a lost or stolen card, you should contact the card’s customer service line at: 1.800.240.8100 (TTY: 1.800.241.9100). You may find additional information about your pre-paid debt card at:https://www.eipcard.com/ or by consulting the information packet that was included along with your pre-paid debit card.

*The above information was prepared by Republican Finance Committee staff for informational purposes and should not be relied on for legal advice. Individuals should consult the IRS or a tax advisor to address questions related to their specific circumstances.

Author: Press Release