SEN. GRASSLEY: Farmers are only 2 percent of the population, but provide food, fuel and fiber for other 98 percent

***The Iowa Standard is an independent media voice. We rely on the financial support of our readers to exist. Please consider a one-time sign of support or becoming a monthly supporter at $5, $10/month - whatever you think we're worth! If you’ve ever used the phrase “Fake News” — now YOU can actually DO something about it! You can also support us on PayPal at [email protected] or Venmo at Iowa-Standard-2018 or through the mail at: PO Box 112 Sioux Center, IA 51250

Across Iowa this weekend, farmers will be in their fields as they continue the 2020 harvest.


Iowa farmers have now harvested all but about 10 percent of soybeans and 30 percent of corn.


Because I’m in Washington D.C. this weekend, I won’t be able to give my social media followers an update on the 2020 #CornWatch or #SoybeanWatch series from the Grassley farm.


The purpose of this series is to give people who have never stepped foot on a farm an idea of the complexities that go into planting, growing and harvesting a bountiful crop.


Between COVID-19 supply chain disruptions, drought and a derecho, the 86,000 Iowa farm families have faced one of the most challenging years in recent memory.


Farmers are only 2 percent of the population but provide food, fuel and fiber for the other 98 percent.


I want to send my best wishes to farmers and their families as we are nearing the final stretch of the harvest season.