Kassidi Kurill was a surgical technician for plastic surgeons in Utah. By all accounts, she was a healthy 39-year-old single mother.
But four days after receiving the second dose of the Moderna China Virus vaccine, she died.
A local CBS affiliate, KUTV, found four deaths filed by Utah families and their caregivers on VAERS, but Kurill’s story stood out.
Her father told the local news she had no known health problems and was healthy, happy and “had more energy” than just about anyone around her.
Kurill’s father, Alfred Hawley, is a retired Air Force fighter pilot.
Kurill’s death came out of nowhere, he said.
Hawley said he woke up on Thursday morning to Kassidi asking for help.
She had gotten sick right away with soreness at the location of the injection. She started getting sick and complained she was drinking lots of fluids but could not pee.
She was throwing up minutes after walking into the Emergency Room. They did a blood test and her liver was not functioning.
She was flown to a medical center where a transplant could be done if necessary. But doctors couldn’t get her stabilized enough for a transplant.
Hawley said Kassidi’s liver, kidney and heart shut down. He said his daughter was “healthy and good — then she took the shot.”
Kassidi leaves behind a 9-year-old daughter.
The CDC said as of March 8, VAERS has received 1,637 reports of death among people who received a China Virus vaccine.
Dr. Erik Christensen, the state’s chief medical examiner, said proving vaccine injury as a cause of death almost never happens.
“Did the vaccine cause this? I think that would be very hard to demonstrate in autopsy,” he told KUTV.
The only case he mentioned where a vaccine could be listed as the cause of death is an immediate case of anaphylaxis.
Vaccine manufacturers cannot be held liable for injury or death. The government instead pays out for damages.
Kurill had no hesitation taking the vaccine. She encouraged her family to get it as well.
Her sister, Kristin, told the local news they weren’t worried when Kassidi started to feel ill because “everyone from her work had flu-like symptoms, so we thought this was normal.”