Chad Behn is a Republican running for the GOP nomination in Senate District 24. For more information on Behn’s campaign, visit this page.
1. What is the proper role of government:
Limited government. Protection against foreign invasion. Uphold the constitution.
2. What issues do you consider non-negotiable:
Anything constitutional. Life — Pro-life by saving as many as possible. Guns right to bear arms. It is one of the most infringe rights we have. Close the borders!! Legal immigration only.
3. What concerns do you have about how the COVID-19 situation was handled by the government, if any:
The biggest concern is in regards to some of what I would consider unconstitutional action taken on businesses. I’m glad the Governor didn’t do Shelter in place. We need to get back out in action and get businesses up and rolling. We can maintain social distancing and keep those most in danger safe.
4. At what point do you believe a human life is guaranteed the legal protections of being an American citizen and what would you do to ensure those protections are provided?
Human life begins at conception. I believe that it is guaranteed protection at that point. I will take that concept as far as I can take it and believe we can pass a bill to do so. It takes 26 votes in the senate and I will go as far as I can to get the earliest protection for the unborn. The heartbeat bill was something I would have definitely voted for.
5. Would you support a religious freedom and restoration act in the state of Iowa?
I would not force someone to serve another if it was against their belief. The most famous is the wedding cake example. Again if they don’t want to make a wedding cake because it goes against their religion they shouldn’t have to.
6. Would you support mandatory E-Verify?
I would support e verify. It makes it harder to become employed if you are illegal.
7. Would you support banning traffic cameras, why or why not?
Super easy get rid of traffic cameras!!!
8. What, if any, measures would you support to curb gun violence?
Up to citizens to educate themselves and follow laws. Humans cause violence!!
9. What percent of the state’s budget do you believe should go toward education?
Wouldn’t tie spending on education to the percentage of budget. It just needs to be where it needs to be. Administration costs have gotten out of control. Money doesn’t necessarily guarantee better education.
10. Would you support education savings accounts?
ESA’s are one of the most important things we could do to protect the children. Introducing competition will raise every opportunity in every situation to provide a better education. Parental involvement is key. For those less fortunate ESA’s will help raise all standards.
11. What do you think of Iowa’s current tax structure?
Get rid of the triggers that need to be hit in order to further tax cuts. We tax and then use incentives to attract businesses. Just make the tax climate what it needs to be in order to bring business to Iowa.
12. Are there any state regulations you would like to see removed?
Less restrictive license regulations. Just because you have a license doesn’t mean you are necessarily qualified. Also this creates an additional barrier to new businesses in the state.
13. What are your views on climate change and what, if anything, should the government’s role be in addressing climate change?
The climate changes. They have been able to frame the argument that if you do not believe in man-made climate change that you are somehow against the environment or don’t believe science. The position of fear and 12 years left until its over is one of the biggest hoaxes that I have ever seen. The Romans have documented warming periods as to how they picked when to expand their empire. This is not new!! We need to do a good job of taking care of the environment, but to take it as far as the left has is completely out of line and shows how much fake news has an impact.
14. Do you support expanding use of medical marijuana? Would you support recreational use of marijuana?
Needs to be rescheduled immediately. When we were out in Washington we asked Kellyanne Conway this question. Why not reschedule as to do studies and put this debate to rest. I think both sides of this issue just what to see what the real impact is through true unbiased studies.
Iowa Senate District 24: