***The Iowa Standard is an independent media voice. We rely on the financial support of our readers to exist. Please consider a one-time sign of support or becoming a monthly supporter at $5, $10/month - whatever you think we're worth! If you’ve ever used the phrase “Fake News” — now YOU can actually DO something about it! You can also support us on PayPal at [email protected] or Venmo at Iowa-Standard-2018 or through the mail at: PO Box 112 Sioux Center, IA 51250
Democrats’ election prospects in Texas are growing bleaker by the day.
Here’s a recap:
- First, Filemon Vela announced he’ll retire instead of seeking reelection.
- Next, the city of McAllen elected its first Republican mayor.
- Just a few weeks ago, Vicente Gonzalez moved districts because he doesn’t think he can win in competitive TX-15.
- On Election Day, Republicans flipped another state House seat.
- TODAY, state Rep. Ryan Guillen SWITCHED his party affiliation from Democrat to Republican because he feels his “fiscally conservative, pro-business, and pro-life values are no longer in-step with the Democrat Party of today.”
NRCC COMMENT: “Texas Democrats are retiring or becoming Republicans because they know they’re doomed in 2022.” – NRCC Spokeswoman Torunn Sinclair