***The Iowa Standard is an independent media voice. We rely on grassroots financial supporters to exist. If you appreciate what we do, please consider a one-time sign of support or becoming a monthly supporter (even just $5/month would go a long way in sustaining us!) We also offer advertising options for advocacy groups, events and businesses! If you’ve ever used the phrase “Fake News Media” — this is YOUR chance to do something about it! You can also support us on PayPal at [email protected] or Venmo at Iowa-Standard-2018 or through the mail at: PO Box 112 Sioux Center, IA 51250 Thank you so much for your support and please invite your friends and family to like us on Facebook, sign up for our email newsletter and visit our website!***

Legislators have heard from countless parents, guardians, and concerned citizens about appropriate ways to push back against their school districts when it comes to classroom material based on the divisive ideas in critical race theory.  Parents have lodged concerns with legislators on both the content being taught and the ways in which it is presented to students.  Some teachers and districts are only giving one side of an issue, skewing an issue, or misrepresenting facts. Some districts are intimidating  teachers and students so they are afraid to voice their opinions or concerns.  Legislators have expressed those concerns to the Iowa Department of Education and the Department has responded by provided some clarity and a place to go to with concerns.

First, parents and guardians can always contact their teacher, principal, superintendent, or school board.

Formal requests can be made to the school board on things such as curriculum. If a school board makes a decision on a formal request it may be subject to administrative review by the State Board or the Director of the Department and/or to further challenge in District Court.

If the issue is not resolved, or at any time in the process, you can contact the Department of Education and your area School Improvement Consultant.

Parents, guardians, and community members may formally or informally bring their issues before the State Board if they have exhausted their local remedies.

There are also certain decisions that can be appealed to the Director of the Department by petition.

Finally, parents, guardians, and licensed teachers may file a complaint with the Board of Educational Examiners if there is a violation of the code of professional conduct and ethics.

More info may be found here: https://educateiowa.gov/pk-12/parent-guardian-and-community-concerns

Author: Mark Cisneros