With voters and residents in Eagle Pass, Texas, today, Governor Ron DeSantis unveiled a detailed plan to secure the border once and for all. DeSantis will end Biden’s border crisis by stopping the invasion, building the wall, holding cartels accountable, and working with states to enforce the law. The policy proposal follows Governor DeSantis’ announcement last week of a national coalition of 90 sheriffs to fill the void for Biden’s inaction at the border after signing the strongest anti-illegal immigration legislation in the country this past May.
“Joe Biden’s dereliction of duty has made our southern border a disaster zone. The Biden Administration is the critical link in an illegal transnational human smuggling syndicate,” Governor DeSantis said.“For decades, leaders from both parties have produced empty promises on border security, and now it is time to act to stop the invasion once and for all. As president, I will declare a national emergency on day one and will not rest until we build the wall, shut down illegal entry, and win the war against the drug cartels. No excuses. We will get it done.”
“Washington’s status quo approach to border security is one of the biggest failures of our generation,” said Texas Congressman Chip Roy. “This crisis has decimated ranchers, killed Americans with dangerous narcotics, placed migrants in horrific situations from sex trafficking to death, and placed American national security at risk to China and cartels. Texans and our courageous DPS Troopers deserve credit for standing in the breach created by Joe Biden. We need a president in the White House who is not afraid to use the full weight of his office to build the wall, stop the flow, and force Congress to send a bill to sign to fix the laws once and for all. Ron DeSantis not only has a strong plan to secure the border – in line with our Texas plan – he has the courage to finally deliver results.”
Florida state Representative Kiyan Michael added, “As an angel mom, I have personally experienced the painful consequences that result from illegal immigration. Ron DeSantis is the only leader I trust to finally secure our border and ensure no parent ever has to go through what I did. I proudly say with great enthusiasm that every promise Governor DeSantis has made to me as a grieving mother, he has kept. He has cracked down on illegal immigration in Florida, and he will do what others have failed to do. He will secure our border and, as president, put control of our nation’s border back where it belongs: back to our beautiful United States.”
Governor DeSantis’ plan to secure the border marks the first of many detailed, forward-looking solutions to Biden’s failures that the governor will announce throughout the weeks and months ahead.
NO EXCUSES: The DeSantis Plan to Secure Our Border
NO EXCUSES: Stop the Invasion
As president, Ron DeSantis will secure operational control of our border.
- DeSantis will end catch-and-release. If you cross illegally, you will be detained until your hearing date.
- DeSantis will reimpose Remain in Mexico. If you arrive at a port of entry on the US-Mexico border claiming asylum, you will not enter the United States while your claim is being processed.
- DeSantis will increase Border Patrol pay to boost recruiting and ensure the Border Patrol has the necessary staffing to stop crossings.
- DeSantis will have DHS conduct a recruitment campaign targeting former military members and police officers for positions at CBP and ICE.
- DeSantis will take action to end the idea that the children of illegal aliens are entitled to birthright citizenship if they are born in the United States. Dangling the prize of citizenship to the future offspring of illegal immigrants is a major driver of illegal migration. It is also inconsistent with the original understanding of 14th Amendment, and DeSantis will force the courts and Congress to finally address this failed policy.
- DeSantis will close the Flores loophole that incentivizes child trafficking.
- DeSantis will tax remittances from illegal aliens, with exemptions for U.S. citizens and lawfully present foreign nationals, and penalize countries attempting evasion.
- DeSantis will end the use of Notices to Report and any government funding for non-citizen travel.
- He will end the abuse of prosecutorial discretion and parole authority in immigration-related cases and deport criminal aliens.
- DeSantis will work with Congress and through further executive actions to strengthen and enforce E-Verify.
- DeSantis will defund and prosecute entities that aid or conspire to violate U.S. immigration laws.
- He will seek changes from Congress to strengthen penalties for human trafficking, smuggling, and reoccurring illegal reentry.
- DeSantis will deport visa overstays.
- He will allow ICE Enforcement and Removal Operations officers to do their jobs and focus on illegal alien entries under Biden’s border crisis and those with criminal records.
- DeSantis will cease funding the non-governmental organizations (NGOs) and international organizations engaged in facilitating illegal alien processing, human smuggling, and encouraging mass migration on behalf of the Biden administration while seeking to reprogram that money for ICE operations.
- DeSantis will direct the Department of State and the Department of Homeland Security to reinstate Asylum Cooperative Agreements with Northern Triangle Countries immediately.
- He will seek changes to give immigration judges summary disposition authority and require DOJ to greatly narrow conditions for continuance, motions, and administrative appeals.
- DeSantis will sanction and restrict visas of countries who do not accept deportees.
- DeSantis will work with Panama to close the Darien Gap to prevent future caravans from South American and prevent Chinese control of the Panama Canal.
- He will establish priorities under the Development Finance Corporation to seek areas of opportunity with returned workforces in Central and South America for supply chain nearshoring and cooperative agreements to end migration patterns.
- DeSantis will also seek additional resources for CBP personnel and technology on America’s northern border.
NO EXCUSES: Build the Wall
As president, Ron DeSantis will build the wall. No excuses.
- DeSantis will use the military to assist the border patrol on day one, and they will continue to help until the wall is built.
- There are 600 miles open along the US-Mexico border. He will use every dollar available to him as President and every dollar he can squeeze out of Congress to get it done.
- This will additionally include needed fiber optic security systems, lighting, and sensors for the system that CBP agents need to do their jobs.
- DeSantis will order the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers to clear Carrizo cane and build navigable roads along the Rio Grande for CBP border security operations.
- The Left tries to make fun of a border wall, but walls work. Israel built a 152-mile-long fence along its border with Egypt. Once completed, illegal crossings dropped by more than 99% year-over-year.
NO EXCUSES: Hold Cartels Accountable
As president, Ron DeSantis will hold the Mexican drug cartels accountable.
- DeSantis will declare the Mexican drug cartels to be Transnational Criminal Organizations. He will authorize sanctions on cartels, cartel leaders, and other entities known to do business with the cartels. And we will strengthen penalties for those who traffic in fentanyl, as well as those American citizens who work with the cartels.
- DeSantis will set up a Joint Counter-Cartel Task Force to direct and prioritize anti-cartel intelligence gathering and actions by our law enforcement and intelligence agencies.
- DeSantis will convene the Organization of American States to announce new diplomatic, economic, and security initiatives to deter violent cartel activity.
- DeSantis will authorize appropriate rules of engagement at the border so that those trying to smuggle drugs into the United States are met with the use of force. Right now, cartel operatives cut through portions of the border wall with impunity and poison our communities with dangerous drugs; that ends on January 20, 2025.
- And if the Mexican government drags its feet, DeSantis will reserve the right to operate across the border to secure our territory from Mexican cartel activities. If the Mexican government won’t stop cartel drug manufacturing, DeSantis will surge resources to the Navy and the Coast Guard and block precursor chemicals from entering Mexican ports.
NO EXCUSES: Work with States to Enforce the Law
As president, DeSantis will stop DOJ from suing states when they enforce immigration laws.
- DeSantis will instead uphold their Article I authority to defend their state against invasion.
- DeSantis will impose firm penalties on sanctuary jurisdictions. If these lawless jurisdictions try to thwart federal immigration law, DeSantis will cut off hundreds of millions of dollars in grants to them.
- DeSantis will seek funding to reimburse states who have been forced by Biden’s border crisis to take the direct costs on the chin.
- DeSantis will remove illegal aliens from census apportionment calculations.
THE DESANTIS RECORD AS GOVERNOR
Leaders of both parties have talked about border security and illegal immigration—Governor DeSantis has acted.
- He signed the nation’s strongest anti-illegal immigration legislation, making E-Verify mandatory for Florida employers with more than 25 employees and suspending the licenses of any Florida employer who knowingly employs illegal aliens.
- That same legislation enhances penalties for human smuggling, bans local governments from issuing identification documents to illegal aliens, invalidates ID cards issued to illegal aliens in other states, and requires hospitals to collect and submit data on the costs of providing healthcare to illegal aliens.
- Governor DeSantis sent Florida state law enforcement officers and equipment to Texas in 2021, where they apprehended thousands of illegal aliens and aided in hundreds of criminal arrests for felonies including human trafficking and drug smuggling.
- He issued an executive order that mobilized state law enforcement and National Guard resources to aid in the interdiction of more than 10,000 migrants attempting to land on Florida’s shores.
- He secured $24 million to facilitate the transport of illegal aliens to Martha’s Vineyard and other sanctuary jurisdictions, relieving overrun border communities and bringing the reality of the border crisis to the communities that support Biden’s open border policies.
- He successfully petitioned the Florida Supreme Court to impanel a statewide grand jury to examine international human smuggling networks that bring aliens to the southern border and ultimately to Florida.