A new Harvard/Harris poll reveals that most American voters, including Democrats, do not support illegal immigration and its effects on the nation.
While apprehensions at the southern border have fallen for the third consecutive month, there is still cause for concern as illegal alien apprehensions remain at levels not seen in more than a decade.
Below are five key takeaways from the poll:
- The vast majority of Americans (85 percent, including 80 percent of Democrats), oppose granting illegal aliens the ability to vote.
- The vast majority of Americans (80 percent, including 69 percent of Democrats), believe illegal immigration is a serious issue for the country.
- The vast majority of Americans (78 percent, including 70 percent of Democrats) believe illegal aliens should not be able to collect welfare, disability, and healthcare payments.
- A plurality of American voters (40 percent) list immigration as the single most important issue facing the country today.
- A majority of Americans (52 percent) support a merit-based immigration system that prioritizes migrants based on skill and education.American voters have made clear that they do not support policies that incentivize illegal immigration. Elected officials must take note of their constituents’ needs and act accordingly to restore order in the nation’s immigration system.
Additional Military Funding Set to Construct
175 Miles of Border Wall
In a much-needed move, Defense Secretary Mark Esper recently reprogrammed $3.6 billion in military funding to help construct 175 miles of border wall along the southern border.
The mainstream media and congressional Democrats have been quick to criticize the move, but they are not telling the full picture. Here are five reasons why the additional funding is a game changer and needed more than ever:
- Reduces Illegal Immigration
- Apprehensions at the southern border remain at levels not seen in more than a decade. Additional funding for wall construction will reduce areas where illegal aliens can cross the border easily and allow immigration authorities to be deployed to areas where more assistance is needed and deter migrants from crossing illegally.
- Protects American Taxpayers
- With illegal immigration costing U.S. taxpayers some $135 billion annually, this expenditure is a drop in the bucket when compared to the yearly cost of illegal immigration.
- Saves American Lives
- How many more stories do Democratic leaders need to read about American lives that are needlessly lost or brutalized because of this country’s unwillingness to keep out dangerous criminal aliens and contraband?
- Bypasses Obstructionists
- Congressional Democrats oppose any funding for new border barriers in order to stop President Trump’s signature campaign promise. The president has a constitutional responsibility to protect the security of the nation and to effectively deploy resource to secure our borders.
- Reaffirms Sovereignty
- Numerous countries have constructed effective border walls to stop people from entering illegally. These barriers preserve national sovereignty and are important for both public safety and national security. Simply put, a country cannot remain a country without having secured borders.
- Reduces Illegal Immigration