***The Iowa Standard is an independent media voice. We rely on the financial support of our readers to exist. Please consider a one-time sign of support or becoming a monthly supporter at $5, $10/month - whatever you think we're worth! If you’ve ever used the phrase “Fake News” — now YOU can actually DO something about it! You can also support us on PayPal at [email protected] or Venmo at Iowa-Standard-2018 or through the mail at: PO Box 112 Sioux Center, IA 51250
On Monday, Governor Ron DeSantis signed House Bill (HB) 9-B, Reedy Creek Improvement District, Orange, and Osceola Counties, to end self-governing status and special privileges provided to Walt Disney World through the Reedy Creek Improvement District and establish a new state-controlled district accountable to the people of Florida. The bill provides legislative intent on the district’s authority to raise revenue and pay outstanding bonds and other obligations without interruption. More on HB 9-B can be found here.
“Allowing a corporation to control its own government is bad policy, especially when the corporation makes decisions that impact an entire region,” said Governor Ron DeSantis. “This legislation ends Disney’s self-governing status, makes Disney live under the same laws as everybody else, and ensures that Disney pays its debts and fair share of taxes.”
HB 9-B ends Disney’s self-governing status and imposes a five-member state control board that is appointed by the Governor and subject to Senate confirmation.
This legislation amends the Reedy Creek Improvement District charter which:
- ENDS Disney’s self-governing status.
- ENDS Disney’s exemption from the Florida Building Code and Florida Fire Prevention Code.
- ENDS Disney’s exemption from state regulatory reviews and approvals.
- ENDS Disney’s secrecy by ensuring transparency.
- ENSURES that Disney will pay its fair share of taxes.
- PREVENTS leftist local governments from using the situation to raise local taxes.
- IMPOSES Florida law so that Disney is no longer given preferential treatment.
- ENSURES that Disney’s municipal debt will be paid by Disney, not Florida taxpayers.