Ahoy! Gift-giving season is upon us and many members of the community rely upon online retailers to do their holiday shopping. Unfortunately, a threat looms behind every potential package delivered – the dreaded porch pirate.
Protect your deliveries from these scallywags by following these simple steps:
- Check your delivery location often.
- Make sure the delivery location is well lit.
- If your employer allows, have packages delivered to your workplace.
- Require a signature for delivery.
- Have your package delivered to a Post Office Box. Larger items will be secured at the PO Box location.
- Speak to your landlord or Home Owners Association to ensure your building is secured and that doors are not propped open.
- Consider investing in low-cost technology, such as motion-activated lights and cameras.
- Use social media to connect with your neighbors, establish neighborhood groups and communicate with each other about known issues.
- Be vigilant and be on the lookout for anyone or anything that seems out of place.
- Work with your neighbors to secure packages when you are away or unable to pick them up