On Thursday, Representative Chip Roy penned an op-ed on The Federalist calling on House Republicans to use the “power of the purse” to hold the Biden administration accountable.
The full text of the op-ed is available at the link here; some key quotes are below.
- “To be clear, a vote for such a CR is a vote for the status quo — i.e., a ‘continuation’ of bloated post-Covid spending levels and anti-security policies contained in last year’s $1.7 trillion ‘omnibus’ spending bill, which was negotiated and passed in a Democrat trifecta — inexplicably with the help of 18 Senate Republicans.”
- “We must stand together in steadfast rejection of President Biden’s destructive status quo and refuse to give ground when the swamp comes crashing down on us. To do that, we must paint a bold vision and stand in unison, saying, ‘No security, no funding.’”
- “The federal government is limiting prosperity by refusing to uphold its basic constitutional duties to secure Americans and is constantly meddling in our lives.”
- “The ‘power of the purse’ is the most effective tool we possess to force an out-of-control executive branch to end its abuses and focus only on its core functions.”
- “There will be some who cower at this notion — claiming we will be ‘blamed’ for shutting down the government. But what we should truly fear is refusing to fight to uphold the Constitution, do what we said we would do, and stand up for American security.”