From my family to yours I wish you a safe and prosperous New Year and new decade. May 2020 bring you blessings and Gods face to shine upon you.
As I prepare to head to Des Moines for our 2020 Session, I want you to know how thankful I have been to represent you these last 5 years. I look forward to doing great things in Des Moines this upcoming year and keeping Iowa on the right track.
Last week I sent a poll for you to fill out and let me know your priorities. I did get a lot of feedback from that. Here is a brief summary of the 116 responses I did receive (this is not a scientific poll):
- 58 percent of you feel our federal government is heading in the wrong direction
- 60 percent of you feel Iowa is heading in the right direction or are unsure
- 40 percent of you feel the state is spending too much
- Over 66 percent of you would reduce property taxes or income taxes, if you could
- Over 46 percent of you feel our schools should get less than 2 percent increases each year and of that 26 percent feel it should be less than 1 percent
- 56 percent of you feel the 2nd Amendment is so important you feel we should do something at the state level to protect it
I will continue to look at this poll and evaluate what your priorities are. At the same time, don’t wait to contact me for hot button issues or thoughts that you would like to address. This is a short newsletter this week because I am sure you want to enjoy your holiday. I wish you a very Happy New Year!