At the start of each new session the House Republican caucus puts forward priorities and ideas that we have heard about from constituents back home. This year is no different and House Republicans collaboratively laid out a robust list of issues that we plan to move forward. Three of the top issues include: parental choice for education, reducing the tax burden on Iowa taxpayers, and addressing mental health issues across the state.
- Parental choice in education has always been important to the House Republican caucus. Covid-19 created circumstances that have generated concerns from parents regarding their children’s education. Specifically, they are concerned with the lack of choices they are currently presented with.
- The pandemic has resulted in schools across the state choosing to implement a patchwork of different policies that are not always consistent from district to district. While many districts have done well in providing options for learning, some have chosen to only offer virtual learning, keeping students at home and not in the classroom. House Republicans have heard from parents all across the state that are unhappy with the decisions their school districts have made when it comes to kids in the classroom vs. virtual learning.
- House Republicans are invested in helping to make more choices available to parents and students. Every family should be able to choose a learning plan that works best for their child and provides them with the education they need and deserve.
- It has always been a priority of House Republicans, as public servants, to do our best to return hard-earned money back to the taxpayers as often as possible.
- Our caucus will continue to budget responsibly and spend less than the state takes in, thereby allowing us to return unused tax dollars to families all across Iowa.
- We will be diligent and keep the promises we make regarding state funding. This will ensure reliability in all areas of government services that depend on general fund dollars.
- House Republicans have made the topic of mental health funding, services and delivery one of our top priorities for many years now. We recognize that Iowa has significant needs in the mental health arena, and it is our goal and mission to continue to address the concerns we are hearing about from our family, friends, and constituents.
- A well-funded and reliable mental health services program is essential to the function of a healthy and productive state. House Republicans will continue to prioritize mental health policies, funding, and reforms to make Iowa the best state for all citizens, no matter what challenges they face.