Eric South is running for the Republican nomination in House District 40. South filled out the survey via email. For more information on his candidacy, visit his website.
1. What is the proper role of government:
To maintain order and make available opportunities for citizens to reach their full potential, not to control their lives.
2. What issues do you consider non-negotiable:
The sanctity of human life and God’s definition of marriage.
3. What concerns do you have about how the COVID-19 situation was handled by the government, if any:
I feel the government was too quick to react and the measures used were to meant to scare us, more than protect us. The advisors to the President, I believe, had alternative motives behind their recommendations. I do believe Governor Reynolds, did the best she could with the information she had at hand.
4. At what point do you believe a human life is guaranteed the legal protections of being an American citizen and what would you do to ensure those protections are provided?
Life begins with a heartbeat and that is when they become an American citizen.
5. Would you support a religious freedom and restoration act in the state of Iowa?
6. Would you support mandatory E-Verify in Iowa?
7. Would you support banning traffic cameras, why or why not?
Yes, because I believe they are unconstitutional.
8. What, if any, measures would you support to curb gun violence?
I do not believe any changes need to be made to the current gun laws. Gun violence starts in the heart of the person that kills and no law can change a man’s heart.
9. What percent of the state’s budget do you believe should go toward education?
10. Would you support education savings accounts?
11. What do you think of Iowa’s current tax structure?
Needs to be abolished and we need to go to a flat consumption tax.
12. Are there any state regulations you would like to see removed?
Yes. I believe that instead of passing new laws every session, one session every five years, should be dedicated to reviewing past laws to see if they are still needed and/or relevant.
13. What are your views on climate change and what, if anything, should the government’s role be in addressing climate change?
Climate change is a lie and it is meant to control the populace.
14. Do you support expanding use of medical marijuana? Would you support recreational use of marijuana?
I would support medical marijuana through a prescription. I do not support recreational marijuana use.
House District 40: