Last week, U.S. Congressman Matt Gaetz (FL-01) sent a letter to Federal Bureau of Investigation (FBI) Director Christopher Wray regarding six alleged FBI agents filmed kneeling in solidarity for those carrying out the lawless Black Lives Matter (BLM) riots nationwide in 2020.
The letter highlights how the violence spurred by the riots included coordinated attacks against numerous law enforcement personnel and millions of dollars in property damage. It has been uncovered that six alleged FBI agents, one of whom appears to be the Acting Special Agent in Charge for the Criminal Division within the Washington Field Office, expressed support for the out-of-control chaos.
Rep. Gaetz has requested specific information to be provided to his office by July 7, 2023.
The Honorable Christopher WrayDirector
Federal Bureau of Investigation
935 Pennsylvania Ave NW
Washington, DC 20535
In the late Spring and early Summer of 2020, a nationwide series of violent riots swept across the United States, causing millions of dollars in property damage. These coordinated riots also involved the violent assault on numerous law enforcement personnel. On May 29, 2020, in Washington, D.C. alone, violent protestors threw rocks, urine, and alcohol at United States Secret Service Agents, injuring over 60 of them. Some protestors also scaled the barriers to the White House and Department of the Treasury complex.
This shameful and unprecedented violence took place over several days, and included the arson attack on St. John’s Episcopal Church adjacent to the White House. During these events, Federal Bureau of Investigation (FBI) personnel were quite literally “on the line” defending our nation’s Capitol in an attack that has not been surpassed since in either its scope or violence.
Perhaps in an effort to placate the mob, on June 4, 2020, at least six alleged FBI agents were filmed kneeling in supplication. Attached is a photograph believed to be Sarah Linden, expressing her support for these seditious riots that caused so much destruction.
Please provide the following information to my office by July 7, 2023.
(1) What positions does Sarah Linden hold within the Federal Bureau of Investigation?
(2) Is Sarah Linden currently the Acting Special Agent in Charge for the Criminal Division within the Washington Field Office? If so, when did this position become effective?
(3) Is the attached photograph a photograph of Sarah Linden?
(4) Was the FBI aware that Sarah Linden had expressed support for the attacks on FBI and other federal personnel when it effectuated this promotion?
(5) What policies or procedures does the FBI have in place to ensure that individuals, like Sarah Linden, who express support for organizations and movements that seek the violent overthrow of the United States government are not promoted?
Member of Congress