Two days prior to Thanksgiving, Gov. Gretchen Whitmer has signed a suite of abortion bills to enact the radical promises established by the passage of Prop 3. The measures remove the partial-birth abortion ban, eliminate health and safety standards for abortion facilities required for any other medical facility, and allow abortion facilities to conceal information from women about risks and complications.
SBA Pro-Life America’s State Affairs Director Sue Liebel shared her reaction:
“Gov. Whitmer just signed some of the most uncompassionate measures in state history. Partial-birth abortion involves partially delivering a baby while they are still alive, crushing the baby’s skull and vacuuming out the baby’s brain. This late-term abortion method is an excruciating death for the baby and a traumatic experience for the mother that poses health risks.
“Future generations will look back on this with disdain. We look forward to the day when Democrats like Gretchen Whitmer can look beyond their political commitment to the abortion industry to oppose these brutal procedures.”
Partial-birth abortion was recently described in an Associated Press article: “A D&X procedure involved dilating the woman’s cervix, then pulling the fetus through the cervix, feet-first to the neck. The head was then punctured and the skull emptied and compressed to allow the fetus to fit through the dilated cervix.” According to the inventor of partial-birth abortion, 80% of these procedures are ‘purely elective’ and the other 20% are for ‘genetic reasons.’
Liebel added words of caution for states like Florida, Nebraska, South Dakota, Arizona and Missouri where constitutional amendments on abortion could be considered next year:
“What is happening right now in Michigan is a warning sign for states where abortion will be on the ballot in 2024. Through legislation or litigation, every single protection that exists for babies and women will be taken off the books. The abortion industry crafts these measure very intentionally so they can achieve complete deregulation and increase their profits at the expense of women’s health and safety.”
The bills signed by Gov. Whitmer today put women at risk by removing all clinic licensing and inspections for cleanliness and safety, as well as the reporting of complications. Another requirement lifted was patients’ right to understand the procedure and its risks through informed consent. This requirement is supported by 72% of Michigan voters.
The signage of today’s bills is a continuation of Gov. Whitmer’s pro-abortion record. In 2022, Gov. Whitmer vetoed millions of dollars in funding for pregnancy centers that provide free pregnancy tests, ultrasounds, medical exams, counseling, parenting classes, financial classes; items such as food, diapers, and clothing; and financial assistance for housing and utilities.